Avant is a biannual magazine about vintage clothing and fashion history based in Paris, France. Each issue focusses on a specific trend and features interviews, still-life pictures as well as unique content never-seen before.
In this issue:
In this first volume, we dig into workwear clothing during the California Gold Rush.
We converse with Brit Eaton, denim archeologist and Rin Tanaka, founder of The Inspiration Show, discuss denim hunting with Bryan and Melody Kahtava, and portrait Jacob Davis, the inventor of the rivet.
We explore United Costume, one of the most reputed costume house of Hollywood and investigate the love of american workwear in Japan.
We also teach you how to recognize the era of a clothing according to it’s tag and bring you into the real story of the Californian Gold Rush.
STORIES & TALES
• Denim Hunters : they explore gold mines and ghost towns to find old denim
• A view from United Costume, the most famous costume house in Hollywood
• The Portrait of Jacob Davis, inventor of the rivet : the man behind Levi’s success • One Century of Workwear in the movies
• Heritage Brands gets a second life
• Wouter Munnichs, denim specialist and founder of Long John
• Larry McKaughan, founder of Heller’s Cafe and vintage collector • Josh Sirlin, founder of Black Bear Brand
• Brit Eaton, denim archeologist
ART & ILLUSTRATIONS
• Unique cover painting made by Mark Maggiori for Avant Magazine.
• Instants from the Past : a serie of antique pictures collected by Bandit Photographer • Road Trip, watercolor illustrations of the West America by Magali Brueder.
• Workwear Still Life, photographies by Gauthier Borsarello.
How to recognize the era of a denim clothing by its tag – The big directory of workwear brands – Instigation in Tokyo and the japanese madness of american workwear – Stifel Story, the golden fabric – Never Rip my denim – Californian Gold Rush : how everything really began.
Lightning, Vol. 182: American Vintage
A selection of American dry good from 1900-1990 covering many aspects of classic design from furniture to denim, table-wear to shoes and many more.349 SEK
Lightning, Vol. 185: Denim Complete
The latest issue from Lightning. Covering a broad collection of Japanese and US made denim, with a full coverage on the infamous “Osaka 5”.379 SEK
Fashion - General Interest - Lifestyle
Men’s File, Issue 18 (+ Clutch Magazine)
Men’s File is a magazine centred on retro and revival style. The publication covers subjects as diverse as illustration, architecture, bobber motorcycles, nude girls and home-made…..275 SEK
Clutch, Vol 63 – Boots & Shoes
The latest issue form Clutch Magazine covering all Japanese Craftsmanship with particular focus given to Boots & Shoes.225 SEK